[r-t] Easter challenge

Philip Saddleton pabs at cantab.net
Sun Apr 12 20:42:44 UTC 2009

This is a problem that is small enough to analyse in depth with pencil
and paper (as I did in my hotel room last night). I came up with the
following graph which allows me to find all symmetrical single-hunt
methods whose plain course is the extent.

1A - 1B - 1C
  | x  | x  |
2A - 2B - 2C
  | x  |    |
3A - 3B   3C
  | x  |    |
4A - 4B - 4C
  | x  | x  |
5A - 5B - 5C

Each [number,letter] pair represents the rows occupying the same
position in a half-lead, with the lines connecting them possible
transitions. The numbers are the position of the treble and the letters
the order of the other bells. If our method has Plain Bob lead heads
these are represented by 1A. To find a method we need a path in the
graph that visits each vertex precisely once (some possible paths do not
give a method - the half-leads cannot be joined into a touch, and most
will contain more than four blows in one place).

To answer the question, the given treble path is not possible - any path
from 1? to 5? must contain the sequence 2C, 3C, 4C or its reverse, and
there is no link to another 3 at either end. There are methods where the
treble path is 112321234543455, e.g.

123.3.145.1.5.345.1.5.123.1.125.5.3.345.5 lh 125

--
Regards
Philip