[r-t] Composition Library

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Tue Apr 14 17:22:17 UTC 2009

Don wrote:

> Am I the only one that finds it a bit odd that a supposedly
> "open source" project appears to be tied so tightly to so
> many Microsoft-only technologies?

On the contrary, open source means that the software is freely available to
port to any technology.

> I note also that it seems to depend upon a custom written client,
> also I'm assuming Windows-only. If I'm interpreting that correctly,
> does it mean that not only are those of us that use non-Microsoft
> machines not welcome to help as developers, we're even precluded
> from consuming the results of the endeavor?

Again, no. This is not about Windows vs Linux, or anything else, Don. I am
not wedded to Microsoft, and you are extremely welcome to join the project -
in fact I desperately need your help. I had to develop a client in
something, and the .Net framework and C# provided a free environment to
develop a Windows client. I am not precluding a Linux client, and if you
read <http://www.changeringing.co.uk/complib/contribute.php>, I specifically
talk about phase 4 being the development of a web client. The online
database has not yet been decided, but it is quite likely to be MySQL. So
get off your high horse and sign up - then you will have a chance to
influence its direction:-)

Graham