[r-t] Extent of caters

Ted Steele ted.steele at tesco.net
Thu Aug 13 17:48:01 UTC 2009

While browsing the Bell News DVD I saw a advertisement for the figures
of the extent of Grandsire caters as composed by James Hewett of
Gosport  in 1895. It raised a few questions that will probably be
trivially easy for you theorists to answer.

What, if any are the special problems in composing the extent of
Grandsire caters? I assume that because of the different nature of the
rows, being all quadruple changes the  problems will be different to
triples and the possibility of a bobs only extent does not exist; but
can the extent be obtained with just two singles?

Has anyone else bothered to publish an extent of caters, or indeed
anything above major?

Was James Hewett a notable composer and if so for what is he remembered?

Ted