[r-t] Extent of Caters

Richard Pullin grandsirerich at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 14 12:14:58 UTC 2009

>Has anyone else bothered to publish an extent of caters, or indeed
>anything above major?

Philip Saddleton has an extent of Grandsire Caters published in Grandsire
Compositions 2004.
It basically extends the the three lead course plan from Triples to a four
lead course for Caters (72 changes per course and 5040 courses for the
extent).
The calls are at the positions 1, 3 and 4 and the 9th is fixed.

Obviously a peal on this plan has to have well in excess of two singles.
My own calculations state that the minimum possible number of singles for
this type of extent is 2576. Can anybody justify/contradict this?

I've also heard that Rod Pipe is supposed to have composed an extent of Bob
Caters.

Hope to have been of help!