[r-t] Extent of caters

Wyld Family e-mail wyld at waitrose.com
Tue Aug 18 21:02:16 UTC 2009

I think the minimum number of singles for an extent of Grandsire Caters is 6
unless there are some unexpected problems joining blocks together in which
case the minimum is 14.

In Grandsire Caters every change can be rung in two ways either at
handstroke or at back.  I don't know if it is possible to identify a set of
plain courses that contain the extent but would not be surprised if it were
not.

It is possible to divide the extent into B blocks i.e. 4 leads with a bob at
every lead.  Each block can be rung backwards or forwards (one of the
features that makes extents of treble bob minor and bob triples possible)
however because a plain lead destroys the symmetry of the leads in Grandsire
Caters B blocks, if a lead from a particular block is rung in one direction
then the other three leads must be rung in the same direction.  So the peal
must contain 5040 complete B blocks and the half peal 2520.

The bob Q set affects 7 bells so changing a Q set reduces or increases the
number of blocks by 6.  If it is possible, when building the composition, to
identify a Q set where the number of blocks added is just 2 and the rest of
the calls/plains simply reorder the main block, then it will be possible to
reduce the two half peals to two round blocks each and it will take six
singles to join them.  If a Q set that adds in just 2 blocks can't be found
(I can't think of a good reason why this should be but have no intention of
testing it) then the two half peals could only be reduced to 4 blocks each
and 14 singles would be necessary.

It should be possible to compose a bobs only touch that does not come round
and is just 2 changes short of the half peal in the same way as the 5038s of
Grandsire Triples.  Although as Philip Saddleton established for Grandsire
Triples the missing changes occur before the start there is no way of using
singles to join the two halves.

Colin