[r-t] Compositions of the Decade: Part 8 - Cinques - addition

Philip Earis Earisp at rsc.org
Wed Dec 23 10:27:20 UTC 2009

I've had a few emails about the cinques article I sent the other day, which have opened up my eyes a bit.

I think I didn't use the best examples to illustrate what can be achieved with little bell music.  For example the Mark Eccleston composition below includes his 'A' block, which arguably has an advantage of the MBD Q-block and Michael Wilby's block (and the "chase the run" type compositions also), in that it provides little-bell runs mid course, but not at the expense of "nice" course ends. For example, MBD's Q block moves the 5th and 6th all over the place at the course ends.

Further, the Eccleston A-block also avoids the "chase-the-run" compositional trap by allowing the music to be enjoyed for a more sustained period before and after the course-end. In other words, the music doesn't risk being lost in the plethora of calls, as can be the case in the fiendish 1-parts such as the DGH 10000 I highlighted.

Mark's composition illustrates the concept nicely (and is a better example of what can be done with little bell music than his 5000 which I included before):

5004 Stedman Cinques
 (3241658709E)
 -----------
 325164789E0  2.s10.s13.s15.s19
 23416578E90  s1.s5.s14.s16.s19
 3241         s5.s14.s16
 -----------
 3251647890E  s6.12.14.15.16.17.18.19 (20)
 234165       s5.s14.s16.s19
 3241         s5.s14.s16
 1234         s1.7.9.10.s16.19
 -----------
 2134658709E  s2.s7.s10.s13.s15
 1423         3.4.s12.16.17.18
 12537486     3.4.12.17.s19
 1352         s9.s11.s20                    |
 124375       s6.s9.s11.s20                 |
 2143         s7.s11.s20                    |
 16432587     s3.12.s14.s16                 | A
 264315       s14                           |
 325164       s7.s9.s14.s16.18.19           |
 234165       s5.s14.s16.s19                |
 3241         s5.s14.s16
 -----------
 1234658790E  s1.7.s9.s16.19
 12537486     s3.12.19
 23416587       A
 3241         s5.s14.s16
 -----------
 12346587E90  1.7.s9.s16.19
 12537486     s3.12.19
 23416587       A
 324165879E0  s5.s10.s14.s16

Round with a bob at 1
Start from rounds as the fifth row of a slow six
Contains all near misses; 48 x 23456s; 24 x 6543s; 12 x 9876543s; 9 x 2345s; 9 x 3456s; 6 x 876543s; 3 x 5432s; 3 x 9876s
Rung at Ashton-under-Lyne 04.05.09

I understand that Mark has also composed a peal of 5000 S11 that tries to combine the benefits of the frequent musical sixes brought up in a "turning course" composition with the added benefit of carefully-crafted courses which offer little bell music in the interior of almost all of the courses. Watch this space!

DISCLAIMER:

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material. It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person without the consent of the RSC. If you have received it in error, please contact us immediately. Any advice given by the RSC has been carefully formulated but is necessarily based on the information available, and the RSC cannot be held responsible for accuracy or completeness. In this respect, the RSC owes no duty of care and shall not be liable for any resulting damage or loss. The RSC acknowledges that a disclaimer cannot restrict liability at law for personal injury or death arising through a finding of negligence. The RSC does not warrant that its emails or attachments are Virus-free: Please rely on your own screening.