[r-t] Compositions of the Decade: Part 8 - Cinques - addition

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sat Dec 26 23:04:54 UTC 2009

Philip wrote,

 > the Mark Eccleston composition below includes his 'A' block, which
arguably has an
 > advantage of the MBD Q-block and Michael Wilby's block (and the
"chase the run"
 > type compositions also), in that it provides little-bell runs mid
course, but not at the
 > expense of "nice" course ends. For example, MBD's Q block moves the
5th and 6th
 > all over the place at the course ends.

Just had a look at the newer Eccleston composition, and it is indeed
superb. I like his "A" block a lot - great music in it, and looks very
exciting to ring. I don't think it completely supersedes my Q block,
though. Here's a summary of the pros and the cons of each, as far as I
can make out:

1. The Eccleson "A" block uses more varied back-bell positions in order
to keep the bells 5-E together whilst generating the LB music. In
contrast, I fix 7-E and allow the 5 and 6 to move a bit. So my Q block
is much simpler but loses out on back-bell excitement.

2. In terms of "losing" the 6th or 5th into the front at course ends,
the A block has two courses out of seven with the 6th "misplaced",
compared to three out of 8 for my Q block; same numbers for the 5th. So
there is a difference, but not massive. The Q block has 65 home in four
courses, 6th home in five. The Ecclestone block doesn't have 5 or 6 home
very much at all, but they do partake in other back-bell positions.

3. The Q block doesn't generate any LB runs in the first two courses
(these are just standard 65 courses, and not an essential part of the
block really). So I only have six LB courses. On the surface of it,
Mark's A block also contains six LB courses (one transition course does
not contain LB runs as far as I can see), however the seven courses of
his A block as marked are surrounded (on first use, anyway) with three
further LB courses, so in fact he is packing a lot more in. Definitely
win for Mark here.

4. On the other hand, it's a bit disappointing that the A block doesn't
contain any 1234/4321 runs - nothing with the treble (at the the back)
at all that I can see. It also has a lot of 3456/6543 stuff - is this
actually the best on 12? My Q block has one 6543 six, but really
concentrates on 65432 and 12345. So I would say my block is slightly
more varied and better adapted to twelve-bell music than Mark's. But
there is not a lot in it.

I am looking forward to seeing the figures of Mark's 5000. I'm also
inspired to try and extend or rework the Q block using different back
bell positions to prolong the LB fest, as Mark has shown how to do.
Great stuff - this is what the field needs!