[r-t] multi-peal extent of major

Philip Saddleton pabs at cantab.net
Mon Dec 7 21:38:10 UTC 2009

I recall an article in the RW a few years ago discussing a set of eight
peals of PB Major which between them contained all the rows, with only
the plain course repeated. I can't remember whether these had been rung,
or if it was merely a theoretical exercise.

There are certainly enough ways to get in and out of rounds without
repetition. Here's a plan:

Consider pairs of changes which, combined, are equivalent to place
notation 'x'. There are seven of these, i.e. place notations

1234 5678
1256 3478
1278 3456
12 345678
34 125678
56 123478
78 123456

Given a right-place plain method, take any one of these pairs, and find
the lead containing the two rows given by rounds transposed by these
PNs, e.g.

12435687
12345678 1256
21346578 3478

This gives a way of smuggling rounds into a different lead in each case,
providing it is not a second's place or group M method (take Double
Norwich, for instance). Along with the lead starting from rounds this
gives eight separate leads. Then find a way of partitioning the extent
into mutually true blocks each containing one of these leads. Eight
5040s, seven of which have an extra row inserted so that you can start
and finish with rounds.

--
Regards
Philip