[r-t] Double Treble-Bob Maximus Methods

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Tue Dec 15 23:31:07 UTC 2009

MBD wrote:

> I had one with the property that every row of the plain course of
> Plain Bob Maximus was embedded in it (without using Kent motifs
> everywhere), but think I've lost that one unfortunately.

Good thing I keep my emails then! Below is an MBD missive to me in June
1998.

Graham

<MBD>
Tinkering in the method laboratory this lunchtime, I discovered the amount
of coursing in Snow Tiger and Black Pearl can be improved upon slightly,
paradoxically by using a non-PB, non-coursing quarter lead.

Codename: Neutron Star
-345-4.5.2-1-78-58-56-1-E.8.9-890-E  l.h.12 (d)

This has 120 changes of 4-bell coursing, compared to 112 in Snow Tiger.
(For comparison, Avon scores 80, and Bristol and Yorkshire 72). It also has
the remarkable property of containing every row of Plain Bob Max - only the
rather trivial Albion TB shares this amongst treble-dodging Maximus methods.
The downside is rather poor DT falseness - any ideas Graham?!

Inspired by the PB idea, I discovered this next one, which also hides away
the entire course of PB Max within it. This time the method is CPS, and does
quite well with the coursing-quadruples, too, at 116. Sadly, it lacks the
poignant backstroke TEs! Perhaps not quite a nice a line as Neutron Star
either.

Codename: Binary Star
34-34.1-567-36.7.34-1-90.16.70-678-1.90-90.E  l.h.12 (d2)

Musically, the effect of ringing patches of pure Plain Bob every few changes
is quite remarkable. But you'd never guess from the lines.
</MBD>