[r-t] Compositions of the Decade: Part 9 - Maximus

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Tue Dec 22 23:07:10 UTC 2009

Philip writes,

 > Indeed, the nine and a bit courses of tenors-together maximus is
 > sufficiently small that David Hull published complete composition
 > collections for methods like Cambridge over the decade. If people
 > want to do new things here, they’ll have to broaden their horizons

Yes, and in fact the tenors-together search space is also completely
exhaustable with up to three types of call - for instance, standard bobs
and singles and a big bob - and for every lead head type (mx methods
such as Avon need a fair old run-time though). For methods like Bristol
Max, the search space with the 7th in for the 357642 course is also
exhaustable in a sensible time frame.

I have been through every tenors-together peal for Bristol Max up to
5280. I can't remember how many of them there were - quite a few - I
only kept the best few hundred thousand! But even though the space can
be searched exhaustively by machine, there is still a big job to do
mining this result set for the best examples. Just picking the absolute
highest music counts doesn't always give you the pick of the bunch. It
needs a composer's eye.