[r-t] New plan

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Fri Dec 25 04:49:44 UTC 2009

Very nice and interesting Matt; I agree completely that this idea deserves
further attention.

One thing I rather like is the "almost runs" that come up (also in limited
slip), such as -E09875.  Of course, some of these sound better than
others, and it would be nice to have a way of concentrating on the good
ones...

Another nice thing in limited slip is that you sometimes get runs with 4
substituted for E or 5 substituted for T, or vice versa.  Since these
pairs of bells are an octave apart, the otherwise ugly effect of breaking
up a run becomes instead quite pleasing (to my ear anyway).

More generally, I wonder if these is mileage in looking for musical
effects that take into account conventional ideas of haromny a bit more
than has been usual.  Presumably this will be most effective on higher
numbers.  A couple of obvious examples: on 12, -8765 and -2345 sound way
better than most other runs (try them on piano / Abel).  And what about
e.g. -3580T -2579T.