[r-t] New Version of Peal Prover

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu Dec 31 12:22:20 UTC 2009

Philip Earis wrote:

> See the announcement from Campanophile below. Peal Prover is a bit clunky
> and lacks the power and flexibility of something like Sirilic, but in my
> experience it's still one of the best free proving utilities with a
> graphical output.

Are the sort of people who are likely to want to use a peal
proving program likely to be put off by a program without a
graphical user interface?  And if so, does something like
Peal Prover or Sirilic which is really just a text-based
program grafted on to a big edit box, fulfill that need?

That's a genuine question.  I would have guessed that if
you're happy with a text-based description language as used
in most of these programs, you would have also been happy
with a traditional command line interface.  And that those
after a GUI would probably sooner not have to deal with a
textual touch description langguage.  (For example, they
might prefer to check boxes in each course corresponding to
the standard calling positions.)

Or is that not a fair assumption?

RAS