[r-t] New Version of Peal Prover

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Thu Dec 31 13:07:02 UTC 2009

RAS:
> Are the sort of people who are likely to want to use a peal
> proving program likely to be put off by a program without a graphical user
> interface?  And if so, does something like Peal Prover or Sirilic which is
> really just a text-based program grafted on to a big edit box, fulfill
> that need?

I think the mistake you're making is in assuming the only use for the
software is to prove the truth of a composition.

Sure, Sirilic (or something command-line based) is ideal if you just want
to see if something contains any repeated rows.  However, Peal Prover
comes into its own if you want to see both what music specific leads in a
composition contains, as well as where exactly the false rows (if any)
are.

For example, I find PealProv ideal for seeing what rows you get in a lead
in a spliced cyclic major or max composition, etc. You can also specify
blue lines, and so on. Sirilic etc cannot really compete here..

This is something that can easily be replicated elsewhere.  As a possible
suggestion, I would like it if eg www.boojum.org.uk included an option to
start a lead at a specified row.