[r-t] ringing-theory Digest, Vol 52, Issue 7

tom willis tompw at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 18:48:08 UTC 2009

Given the set of all possible compositions of a given length in a given method, then define the 'distance' between two compositions as being the smallest number of block replacements to get from one to the other (oh look, a metric space). Then you're saying that any two compositions within a threshold distance of one another are the same - all well and good.
However, if the distance between compositions A and B is within the threshhold, and the distance between B and C is within the threshold, that doesn't mean the distance between A and C is within the threshold. So while, A and B are the same composition, and B and C are the same composition, A and C are *not* the same composition. (In mathspeak "Distance not more than X" is not an equvilance relation due to lack of transitivity, providing X isn't zero). That's the key problem in my view.

You might argue that A,B,C are all the same composition because A=B and B=C... but one can keep adding new compositions to the pile, each of them suifficiently close to an exisisting one in the pile, until one ends with all the compositions in the set. So, either your threshold is zero, in which case every composition is different, or your threshold isn't zero, in which case every composition is the same.

Actually, something that's being ducked here is how big a block would we allow? If it's sufficiently small, then my all-compositions-are-one argument might not apply in some cases.

(This line of thought brought to you courtesy of long walk to the bank to deposit a cheque).

Tom Willis