[r-t] Ben Constant's Yorkshire Royal

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sat Jan 17 10:59:55 UTC 2009

Pabs asks,

> But how do you generate the prefixes? Won't most of them be false to start
> with?

Well maybe you could generate them up front. However I suspect the
generation time and storage space for this would be too high, at least if
you wanted to get each page back from the server in a reasonable time.

Splitting into three tiers, contents, chapter and page, might work better.
Anyone fancy some quick sums to see if that's a goer? The prefixes for the
top layer would ideally be generated and stored in advanced (and this could
require serious machine resources); the midfixes for the chapter layer would
have to be dynamic, as would the final pages themselves.

The central principle I'm making use of is that a computer can do a lot of
work in less than a second, i.e. the response time of a web page, and
running it for hours and days doesn't really give you as much more as you'd
think.