[r-t] Common Grandsire singles in Oxford Bob Triples

Philip Saddleton pabs at cantab.net
Sat Jan 3 22:30:33 UTC 2009

Don Morrison said  on 03/01/2009 16:22:
> In a thread on a different list it was asserted today that
>
>   "you can't use Grandsire Singles in a peal of Oxford Bob Triples"
>
> Can you get a true 10,080 using just the usual bob and Grandsire
> Singles, and including at least two such singles?

yes

> If so, can you
> further include the property of every row once at hand and once at
> back?

yes - indeed I think this would be necessary

To get a 10,080 join together each possible lead. Both bobs and singles
have to come in q-sets (separately, as they occur at different changes),
but the singles allow an even number of blocks to be joined.

Don Morrison said  on 03/01/2009 16:55:
 > On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org> wrote:
 >> That latter property would come for free if the composition were
 >> structured as a two part with a single half-way and end, right?
 >
 > Err, no, on reflection I don't think that's quite right. If it has
 > only two singles, and they are half-way and end, then I think it has
 > every row once each at hand and back. Have I got it right now?

yes, but I don't think this is possible: the two singles are a q-set,
therefore omitting them would leave two true round blocks of 5,040

--
Regards
Philip