[r-t] Wraps in Minor

Matthew Frye matthew__100 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 00:48:23 UTC 2009

I think that any 2880 (with each row at each treble position) will have
the same number of wraps of rounds/back rounds/any arbitary row
beginning with the treble (though not any other bell?) and also the
same number of 5-runs or less. I believe that a 1440 would not automatically share this property.

It's a bit late to go into detail, but I'll give an outline: If you
take any run of 6 consecutive strikes (across a handstroke-backstroke),
it must either consist of all 6 distinct bells or the first and last
bells are the same (and one is omitted). Either way, if you take any
one location (6 places long) in a lead (ie. 4ths place of 4th change to
3rds place of the 5th change) and have the treble fixed, you have 120
different posibilities for that position in the lead and you must ring
all of them in a 2880 (this bit is critical and could probably do with
a slightly more rigourus proof, but not at 1:30AM).

Note that this does not give you every 6 bell change appearing at every
wrap position, as many of the positions in the lead will be prevented
by the first and last bells being the same. But every 5 bell
combination will show up (twice?) in every wrap position.

eg. Back rounds can (and in a 2880, will) appear as a wrap at any
Handstroke-backstroke where the treble in moving up or staying in the
same position, as per the example given by Phil.

I think that my original conclusions follow quite easily from this. In
a 1440, you are not guaranteed every possibility in every position, so
my reasoning does not hold, there is simply too much variation.

I hope that made sense, I may elaborate further tomorrow.