[r-t] New adventures in 23-spliced: DFM

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sat Jun 20 21:42:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Philip Earis<pje24 at cantab.net> wrote:
> The cyclic 7-part nature here should also be better suited for music, though
> I haven't checked this and Don doesn't quote any musical descriptors.  How
> many of the 96 working-bell run rows (ie 2345xxxx 5432xxxx xxxx2345 xxxx5432
> and of course cyclic rotations therof) does it contain, Don?

Sorry not to have replied sooner. I've been away on holiday, out of
email range, and have only just returned.

Musicality was not a primary goal for this: rather it was complexity
and variety of methods, with a relatively simple calling for a cyclic
seven part. Where I was able, I tried to include some relatively long
courses without calls.

For the twenty-three method version the counts are

7    2345xxxx, etc.
3    5432xxxx, etc.
6    xxxx2345, etc.
12  xxxx5432, etc.

While exactly which wiggle around a little, the other arrangements
generally have fewer total such rollups, roughly monotonically
worsening as the number of methods decreases.

If difficult, cyclic compositions of spliced appeal, you might also
want to have a look at

<http://ringing.org/main/pages/dfm/major/other#7311>

While perhaps a little silly, it is, as far as I know, the first *truly*
each lead different peal of spliced major. Again, though, musicality
wasn't a primary goal.

"He had  outwitted every enemy but time."
              -- Will Durant, _The Renaissance_