[r-t] Muppet Show S Major

Alan Reading ar5597 at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Mar 5 10:32:31 UTC 2009

According to my calculations you get 32 4-bell (7 more than is claimed
in Muppet Show) runs in that course in Superlative: 2 each 5678 forwards
backward front and back and all rotations thereof.
Getting runs out of that course in a regular method essentially amounts
to maximising for example 6478's/3578's or reveres thereof, in the plain
course. i.e. a coursing pair together on the back, one of that pairs
other course bells in 5ths when it's course bells in 8ths, and it's
other course bell with it in 5-6. Starting -36 or 36- throws you into
this position straight away hence why Superlative does rather well,
ofcourse being a double method the runs get mapped to front too.
An interesting question is what is the maximum amount of this position
that can be achieved in a "normal" (ie treble dodges once in each
position, no more than 2 blows in 1 place, regular, but don't care about
7-8's in pn or single changes) treble doding major method. A course of
45362 (course head that is, 65432 in terms of C.O) of such a method will
probably achieve more 4-bell runs in a course than is possible in a
single course of any other regular method.
Cheers,
Alan