[r-t] Proportion of Surprise Methods

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Mar 27 15:28:34 UTC 2009

2009/3/27 Richard Grimmett <richard at grimmett.org>:
> Do the rules/decisions allow for say the treble and tenor on eight
> to be hunt bells. If (for example) they both plain hunted then
> perhaps you could find a method that is extendable to the extent
> without affecting either hunt?

Yes and no. It's legal. Mirror Bob Major is such a method, and the
first (and probably only) peal of it kept both hunt bells unaffected.

If by "extent" you mean the 40,320 possible rows on eight bells, I
don't think there's any way to get them with the treble and tenor both
plain hunting. For example, if your peal contains rounds, as it must
to be the extent, then there's no way to get any of the rows that have
the treble in fourths and the tenor lying.

Or perhaps I've misunderstood what you're suggesting?

"A poem is never finished, only abandoned."    -- W H Auden