[r-t] Place methods

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu Oct 15 11:12:01 UTC 2009

Alexander Holroyd wrote:

> I think I can prove:
>
> plain hunt is the only round block such that:
> - some bell is plain hunting (all the way from front to back) throughout
> - there are no points or dodges
> - there are no adjacent places

Thanks.  That's just what I was looking for.

[...]

> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ...
>
> (there may be other internal places as well).

Any internal places will have to follow a pattern like this.
So there are additional internal places, then the method
must have a second snake.  And the snakes cannot bifurcate
without adjacent places.

> As Graham points out, little methods and treble place methods are presumably
> another matter.

Indeed.  &5.6.5.4,6 is an example of a little place method.

Richard