[r-t] Place methods

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Tue Oct 13 18:16:54 UTC 2009

I think I can prove:

plain hunt is the only round block such that:
- some bell is plain hunting (all the way from front to back) throughout
- there are no points or dodges
- there are no adjacent places

Proof:

There must be some internal place made (otherwise either it's plain hunt
or there are obviously points).  Suppose k is an internal place made at
some change.  Then 1<k<n (because k=2 or k=n-1 would necessitate adjacent
places).  Neither place k-1 nor k+1 is made at this same change, so
this place has swaps either side of it in the change:

k-2 k-1  k  k+1 k+2
    X     |     X

Now what can happen at the next change?  Neither of the bells in k-1 , k+1
can make a point, and they can't both make a place (otherwise we'd have
adj places), so one must swap with k and the other must make a place:

k-2 k-1  k  k+1 k+2
    X     |     X

So _at the next change there is an internal place at either k-1 or k+1_.
Hence at every change there must be an internal place, and furthermore
there exists a sequence of internal places snaking around, moving by one
position left or right at each change:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ...

(there may be other internal places as well).  But it's impossible for a
plain hunting bell to ever cross over this snake, so there can't be one.
QED

As Graham points out, little methods and treble place methods are
presumably another matter.

Ander