[r-t] Shome Mishtake, Surely?

Roger Bailey via John Camp admin at bellringers.org
Wed Apr 28 06:23:24 UTC 2010

Hello Boys (and Girls too, if there are any on R-T)

Apologies for butting into your jolly clever discussions, but I came across Philip's "Compositions of the Decade" postings recently while asking Mr Internet for some stuff on variable-hunt Grandsire Triples, and I couldn't resist looking to see what he had to say about Minor. Just the sort of thing you'd expect from someone who only learned to ring last week :-)

At one point he writes ...

> The technique had been used previously in examples by Glen Taylor, Roger Bailey and others, but Richard's thorough and rigorous approach produced a gem of a spliced Kent and Oxford composition, exploiting the fact the two methods are out-of-course lead splices:
>
>    123456 Kt Kt
>  s 164253 Ox
>  s 126435 Kt Kt
>  s 154236 Ox Ox
>  s 162534 Kt Kt Kt
>    ------
>    134256
>
> s = 1456
> Twice repeated.

.... and then ...

>  720 Spliced Surprise Minor (4m)
>
>    123456 Yo
>  s 132456 Lo               Yo = York S
>  s 146532 Yo Yo Yo Du      Du = Durham S
>  s 152346 We               Lo = London S
>  s 136452 Yo Du            We = Wells S
>  s 156324 We
>    ------
>  s 134256
>
> s = 1236
> Twice repeated

The first idea was first written up by Wilfred Moreton over 40 years ago (RW 1966/104), though he said at the time that Ken Lewis had the idea even earlier. This exact calling was published a few years later (RW 1978/873).

Being of an unoriginal turn of mind, I ripped the idea off to produce a 30-method extent of Norwich-up and Carlisle-up which we rang in a peal of 290 Surprise in 1972. We also rang a 30-method extent of Cambridge-up and London-up using 1236 singles in the same peal. So nothing new under the sun I regret to say.

Pip Pip!