[r-t] Re: A caters stimulus package?

Rebecca Cox r.j.cox at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Apr 29 09:35:36 UTC 2010

> Mark Davies in December 2009 wrote

> However I agree it is chillingly disappointing that no-one has properly
> explored other avenues. Surely, for instance, it must be possible to
> come up with interesting, treble-dominated, non-plain-hunting methods?
> I'm imagining something with a line somewhere between Bristol Major and
> Triton Royal, and capable of producing similar Caters-style music to
> Grandsire. Why not? Why has no-one ever looked for something like this?

We rang a peal of Bristolian T P Caters on Sunday, this has a line with a
mixture of Bristol Royal and some London type work and is double apart from the lead-end/half-lead place.
Bristolian Treble Place Caters: 3.9.3.1.9.5.9.3.5.7.1.5.1.9.7.1.7.9 le 129 135274968
The treble dodges in 1-2, 3-4, makes 5ths, dodges 6-7 and 8-9.

The line is certainly challenging until you are used to it (we had rung the plain course at practices
for several months before attempting a peal) but rewarding. While we rang a conservative composition to avoid the labour of learning
anything to complex, it did have a liberal sprinking of musical features, see
http://www.ajcpeals.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/caters.html#bristolian
More complex compositions are available although the method does have several FCHs to contend with.

It was certainly nice to be able to call a peal of Caters with only 34 calls and interestingly (but not surprisingly
if you think about it) an odd number of singles (5).

I'd certainly recommend Bristolian Caters (and also Brunel Caters) if you want to try something different on 9.

Tony