[r-t] Compositions of the decade - minor - addition

Philip Earis Earisp at rsc.org
Mon Feb 1 17:11:06 UTC 2010

It was whilst ringing Andrew Tibbett's 1000th peal at the weekend that I realised I had missed off a noteable composition from the minor section of the "compositions of the decade" series.

720 Plain Bob Minor - The Monkey's Revenge - October 2004

Simple extents of Plain Bob minor have existed for centuries, but as far as I'm aware this neat Andrew Tibbetts' arrangement (dating from October 2004 - http://www.campanophile.com/view.aspx?22147) is original and the first composition of its type.

In an extent of any regular minor method, any pair of bells spend half an extent coursing (and hence the other half of the extent not coursing). The "Monkey's Revenge" composition simply groups these two phases into two discrete blocks, ie all the coursing for bells 5 and 6 comes at the end of the composition, which ends with 6 homes.

W B H
s s s
  s s
  s s
  s s
s   6

Strictly, "The Monkey's Revenge" refers to a 7 extent multi-extent block which extrapolates this concept, the peal finishing with 42 homes.  Happy days. It's ideal for a handbell ringer on 5-6 with limited stamina!

DISCLAIMER:

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material. It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person without the consent of the RSC. If you have received it in error, please contact us immediately. Any advice given by the RSC has been carefully formulated but is necessarily based on the information available, and the RSC cannot be held responsible for accuracy or completeness. In this respect, the RSC owes no duty of care and shall not be liable for any resulting damage or loss. The RSC acknowledges that a disclaimer cannot restrict liability at law for personal injury or death arising through a finding of negligence. The RSC does not warrant that its emails or attachments are Virus-free: Please rely on your own screening.