[r-t] Compositions of the decade - minor - addition

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Mon Feb 1 17:33:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Philip Earis <Earisp at rsc.org> wrote:
> It was whilst ringing Andrew Tibbett's 1000th peal at the weekend that I realised I had missed off a noteable composition from the minor section of the "compositions of the decade" series.
>
> 720 Plain Bob Minor - The Monkey's Revenge - October 2004
>
> Simple extents of Plain Bob minor have existed for centuries, but as far as I'm aware this neat Andrew Tibbetts' arrangement (dating from October 2004 - http://www.campanophile.com/view.aspx?22147) is original and the first composition of its type.
>
> In an extent of any regular minor method, any pair of bells spend half an extent coursing (and hence the other half of the extent not coursing). The "Monkey's Revenge" composition simply groups these two phases into two discrete blocks, ie all the coursing for bells 5 and 6 comes at the end of the composition, which ends with 6 homes.
>
> W B H
> s s s
>  s s
>  s s
>  s s
> s   6

Wasn't this in the diary thirty years ago? (I don't have a current one
at all, nor even an old one handy, to check.) I'm sure I called it, or
something very like it, perhaps with a slightly different arrangement
of the singles, more than once long before 2004.

Folding seven iterations together is undoubtedly a newer fangled
"improvement", though.

"[He] was like everyone else, only more so. But nobody else
was like him."              -- Ned Rorem, _A Ned Rorem Reader_