[r-t] Exhausted search spaces

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Wed Feb 3 19:38:00 UTC 2010

I would find it quite helpful to know a few statistics: especially roughly
how long the search takes, and the number of compositions, the maximum of
certain types of music, etc.

E.g.:

I'm delighted to have lists of all minimus extents, all in-course doubles
extents, all 5 part doubles extents (and to know the rought number of
each) and to know that all doubles extents is not practical.

I'm a touch sceptical that anyone has searched the whole space of extents
of plain bob minor.  I'd be more inclined to believe it if I saw the data.

If I know it takes 4 weeks to search all tenors together peals of
Bogstandard Royal, I won't bother trying it for this evening's peal
attempt.

If I know it only takes 5 minutes I might be tempted to try a search
including my favourite split-tenor course.

If I know there are no cyclic 7-parts of Monkeyesque Major with all the
-2345s, I won't bother looking.

Of course, one can find all this out oneself, but it could also be handy
to have a list, if it's well organized.