[r-t] Hyperthreading [was Exhausted search spaces]

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Mon Feb 8 12:24:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 5:26 AM, Simon Humphrey <sh at keystrata.co.uk> wrote:
> Since I'm now putting a new machine on the to-do list, I guess
> processor speed is the main determinant of SMC performance.  I don't
> run any other CPU intensive applications these days.
> Cheapest GHz on the market seems to be an AMD Phenom X4 3.4 at the
> moment. Any thoughts?

I don't know about SMC, but for other search related things I've dealt
with memory access is important, so it's reasonable to presume that
front side bus speed (and memory) and cache size are at least as
important as the clock rate. And, of course, the CPU architecture can
make a huge difference, too.

"Several sellers of hot meat pies and sausages in a bun had appeared
from nowhere. They always do, everywhere. No one sees them arrive.
The logical explanation is that the franchise includes the stall,
the paper hat and a small gas-powered time machine."
                                -- Terry Pratchett, _Wyrd Sisters_