[r-t] False Course Heads

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Mon May 17 16:25:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM, List01
<list01 at shropshirelad.idps.co.uk> wrote:
> I think Glenn Taylor explained it well. If you want to get the false course
> heads of a method I would (of course!) suggest using my Method Master
> program. This will show you the in course (bobs only), out of course (bobs
> and singles) and, on 8 bells, the split tenors falseness. It also
> shows which leads are false against which others. It can also do the same
> for the falseness between methods. A listing of the FCH groups is included
> in the on-line help of the program. My web site with further details and
> examples is www.shropshirelad.idps.co.uk

A possible alternative tool for generating this sort of information is
the web hosted thingie at

   http://ringing.org/methods

On the down side compared to Method Master this alternative does not
currently do inter-method falseness, and doesn't have anything in the
way of help or explanation. However it does have the benefit, being a
web hosted gizmo, of not requiring installing anything, and working on
any platform with a web browser.

That said, I strongly urge working out at least one or two examples
yourself, by hand, at least for tenors together, in course. You'll
learn a lot more than by just looking at whatever a machine spits out.

"We arrive at what may be one of the grandest generalizations of
modern science--of which we are tempted to say that it ought to be
true even if it is not--namely, that all phenomena of the physical
universe are only different manifestations of the various modes of
motion of one all-pervading substance--the ether."
        -- Albert A Michelson, _Light Waves and Their uses_ (1903)