[r-t] FCH

Ted Steele ted.steele at tesco.net
Wed May 19 10:21:03 UTC 2010

Robin Woolley wrote:
> Many of you are missing Alex Tatlow's point!
>
> He wants to know *how to do it by hand* - not have a set of programs
> which
> will do it for him. This latter is called 'dumbing down'.
>
> As Don Morrison finally said: "That said, I strongly urge working out at
> least one or two examples yourself, by hand, at least for tenors
> together,
> in course. You'll learn a lot more than by just looking at whatever a
> machine spits out."

Which brings us back to Wilson's book "The Art and Science of Change
Ringing". Even with its acknowledged limitations in this area I found it
good for the basic means of both extracting FCHs and understanding why
they exist. With this I was able to apply the approach to any other
method, which is perhaps the main benefit. I found both the Blue Line
method and the more difficult Symbolic Approach to Extracting FCHs" much
less clear.  I was out of ringing for 25 years and never pursued
composing but the fact that I can still recall what I learnt from Wilson
must be some testimony to its value as a basic tool. The difficulty I
had was how to apply the information in practice in a way that was not
overly cumbersome, but that I suppose is the art of composition. I have
never seen Leary's work but a standard work on the subject would
certainly be a great benefit to the exercise.

Ted