[r-t] Are FCH's needed any more?

King, Peter R peter.king at imperial.ac.uk
Sat May 22 13:16:37 UTC 2010

I'd be inclined to agree with Graham on this. Although, pushing the analogy further, it is still important to understand how the log function works and how it can turn products into sums (and antilogs - ie exponential- does the opposite). Understanding what these functions do and mean is always going to be important (similarly for FCHs) but we wouldn't use these functions in the same way these days.

What I would be far more interested in learning about is how we can use these concepts in computer proof and composition generation. There's lots of discussion in this list about SMC32(and similar) and trees and nodes etc it would be very informative to have an explanation of these and a simple training example of how to use these to generate compositions more efficiently. Could someone do that?