[r-t] Composing challenge - 1788 Plain Bob Maximus

Philip Saddleton pabs at cantab.net
Mon Nov 15 19:44:47 UTC 2010

Clearly the treble needs to be affected to get the length. I see three
possibilities:

- variable hunt, with fixed length leads (as you have)
- treble remains in the hunt, but is affected by calls, thus altering
the length of the lead (I assume this is ruled out, as a lead of little
bob could be thought of as the treble making the bob)
- variable hunt, changing the hunt bell within a lead, without a call
otherwise, along the lines of Alan Burbidge's Grandsire Triples.

I have gone for the third of these, but restricted myself to whole
half-leads, i.e. 12 made at the half-lead, after which a new lead
starts. It is a bit awkward keeping the back bells together, as there is
only one place in the course for such a call that keeps 890ET fixed, and
this repeats the middle of the course. Here's an attempt that aims to
keep calls to a minimum:

-12357496E8T0
  137295E4T608
  1793E2T50486