[r-t] Wokingham Peal

Philip Earis Earisp at rsc.org
Mon Sep 27 13:49:10 UTC 2010

For a peal on the morning of Andy Smith's wedding last week, I was tasked with coming up with a composition involving five methods selected purely as the method names had significant meaning for the bride and groom.

I normally run a mile from any ringing where the focus is the name not the notation (such as "surprise major alphabets"). However, I had some time recently at Chinese airports and after some playing around put together the composition we rang before landing back at Heathrow.

I was amazed that picking 5 methods purely on their names here yielded methods that were intrinsically pretty good / desirable, and spliced together well also. Canada is an a-group method, with great music in the leads beginning 12345678 and 17856342.  I used this as the inspiration for the composition, engineering a cyclic 7-part palindromic method structure round this, and slotting in Canada every time music would be generated.

Trafalgar Square and Wokingham are also reasonable a-group methods, whilst Cambridge happily gives a bit of stability to proceedings for a "must score" peal. Edmonton is used a brief bridge in the 3 wrongs filler at the beginning - it keeps people on their toes (and keeps the length down)

The whole composition scores 48 out of the 96 possible run-rows, which is pleasantly above my estimations. I was very happy with the end result, which we scored (http://www.campanophile.com/view.aspx?107539). It's worth repeat performances.

I'd be very interested to see how much music can be generated in a cyclic 7-part composition with these methods using established computing resources. Any takers?

5040 Spliced Major (5m)
 12345678 Canada
-12357486 Trafalgar Square
 13728564 Wokingham
 17836245 Wokingham
 18674352 Cambridge
 14562837 Trafalgar Square
 15243678 Wokingham
-15237486 Cambridge
 17826543 Edmonton
 14365827 Canada
 13542678 Wokingham
-13527486 Cambridge
 17856342 Canada
-17864523 Wokingham
 18472635 Cambridge
 12345867 Canada
-12356478 Cambridge
 16738245 Trafalgar Square
 17864352 Trafalgar Square
 18475623 Cambridge
-14523867 Canada
 15346278 Cambridge
 16738524 Wokingham
-16782345
 7-part

1568 Cambridge, 1344 Wokingham, 1120 Canada, 896 Trafalgar Square, 112 Edmonton; atw

DISCLAIMER:

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material. It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person without the consent of the RSC. If you have received it in error, please contact us immediately. Any advice given by the RSC has been carefully formulated but is necessarily based on the information available, and the RSC cannot be held responsible for accuracy or completeness. In this respect, the RSC owes no duty of care and shall not be liable for any resulting damage or loss. The RSC acknowledges that a disclaimer cannot restrict liability at law for personal injury or death arising through a finding of negligence. The RSC does not warrant that its emails or attachments are Virus-free: Please rely on your own screening.