[r-t] Wokingham Peal

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Mon Sep 27 18:58:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Philip Earis <Earisp at rsc.org> wrote:
> I’d be very interested to see how much music can be generated in a cyclic
> 7-part composition with these methods using established computing resources.
> Any takers?

I strongly doubt that this is the maximum number of rollups possible,
but it is an improvement on that metric. Besides upping that to 57 of
the possible 96, it also evens up the method balance a bit and
contains back rounds, which the original does not. It also ups the
number of changes of method, though that is perhaps a bit of a cheat
since it has more leads! And, for those with unreasonable allergies to
such things, it contains the same number of backstroke 87s as the
original, just 4. I think the arrangement of the bobs is pleasingly
tidy, too, and the overall composition is nearly a palindrome.

5,040 Spliced Major (5 methods)
  2345678  Wokingham Surprise
  _______
  3527486  Edmonton Bob
- 7864523  Edmonton Bob
  2345867  Canada Delight
  3526478  Wokingham Surprise
  5637284  Wokingham Surprise
  6758342  Trafalgar Square Surprise
- 6784523  Edmonton Bob
  2345786  Canada Delight
  3528467  Cambridge Surprise
  8657342  Canada Delight
- 8674523  Cambridge Surprise
  4263857  Edmonton Bob
- 3578264  Edmonton Bob
  6482573  Trafalgar Square Surprise
  4267835  Trafalgar Square Surprise
  2743658  Edmonton Bob
- 3586742  Edmonton Bob
  4267583  Cambridge Surprise
- 2783456  Canada Delight
  7325864  Cambridge Surprise
  5634782  Canada Delight
  6458327  Edmonton Bob
- 8273456  Trafalgar Square Surprise
  2385764  Wokingham Surprise
  3526847  Cambridge Surprise
  6457382  Edmonton Bob
- 7823456
  _______
Repeat six times.
Contains 1,120 each Cambridge Surprise and Canada Delight,
1,008 Edmonton Bob and 896 each Trafalgar Square Surprise and
Wokingham Surprise, with 153 changes of method and all the work of
every method for every bell.

"In the world of politics, hypocrisy is a hard market to corner."
           -- Gail Collins, _New York Times_, 11 July 2009