[r-t] Spliced (was Spliced Cinques & Max)

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Wed Sep 22 17:03:41 UTC 2010

John Camp wrote:

> I think I've brought this up before on another list.  In the early 60s,
> before singles in surprise were generally accepted, peals of Cambridge
> or Yorkshire Maximus were shortened from 5280 to 5040 by ringing one
> lead of the 12th-place version.  Basil Jones was a great exponent of
> this.  These were published as 'spliced surprise maximus in two
> methods' (Cambridge and Primrose, or whatever).  Was this correct?

Yes.  Or at least, if they were rung today, that would be
logical correct description.  You're not allowed a call that
does not change the coursing order which a 1T 'bob' in
Cambridge does not.  So we can't call it just Cambridge.
Spliced is the next most obvious way of describing it.

Yes, this is rather silly, but no more so than you'd expect
from the CC decisions.

RAS