[r-t] Spliced Cinques & Max

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Fri Sep 24 16:42:19 UTC 2010

Ander wrote:

> What are the lead-end and the half-lead?
> They are not defined anywhere so far as I can see.

Lead-end change and lead-end row are defined in EA1c. Half-lead is used a
lot in the decisions but is not defined, although leads are. Not that this
helps much.

> This is really a particularly strange decision.

Yes, and past its sell-by date given current popularity of Spliced ringing.
It was probably drafted to appease the objectors to half-lead spliced, who
felt that one half-lead did not sufficiently define which method was rung
and people would start claiming more methods had been rung than could
unambiguously be claimed. It doesn't, but no-one thought to say does this
matter?

I rang in a peal of quarter-lead spliced in 1976 (Bristol and Double Dublin
S Major). This seemed be accepted with no comment at the 1977 CC meeting,
despite the fact that the decisions didn't cover it. Perhaps it is
significant that the conductor was a member of the Peal Compositions
Committee at the time.

Graham