[r-t] Undifferentials

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Thu Jul 7 22:03:30 UTC 2011

Ander wrote:

> how did you come up with this?

> > 34-16-16-36-16-16-16-16-16-14-16-16-

I originally couldn't see how you could get these methods without repeating
the place notation and producing a shorter principle. Once you had shown it
was possible, I realised that one way is to keep the notation the same for
one cycle group and change it for the other, and then swap them over, so
they do the same work, but offset.

To achieve this, the form of the lead needs to look like this:-

Frontwork1 Backwork1

         \ /

     Transition

         / \

Frontwork1 Backwork2

         \ /

     Transition

         / \

Frontwork2 Backwork2

         \ /

     Transition

        / \

Frontwork2 Backwork1

         \ /

     Transition

         / \

Assume we are working with Major. You have two frontworks and two backworks,
of any length, each keeping a cycle of four bells working together.
Transition swaps the whole cycle group between front and back. This must be
done in a consistent way e.g. using Plain Hunt. Each cycle group will do the
work in the order Frontwork1, Transition, Backwork2, Transition, Frontwork2,
Transition, Backwork1 and Transition.

I have produced some examples like the false one below, but making them
interesting and true is tricky.

The Minor is a simple example using two cycles of three bells, where:-

34-    (F1,B1)

16-16- (Transition)

36-    (F1,B2)

16-16- (Transition)