[r-t] Undifferentials

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Tue Jul 12 19:05:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011, Graham John wrote:

>>> 34-16-16-36-16-16-16-16-16-14-16-16-

Thanks for this very clear explanation, Graham!

I think this method is a wonderful example, but sadly it looks as if it
does not lend itself to an extent (with the usual caveat: at least not
without massacring it to a point where it is barely recognizable).
Although it divides neatly into whole courses and half courses of plain
hunt, and the half-courses are compatible with each other, the plain
course comprises precisely 6 of the 9 plain hunt courses obtained from the
plain course of plain hunt by rotating 123 and rotating 456.  So far as I
can see, there will not be a sensible way to include the other 3.

So, the obvious next challenge: can someone find a minor unprinciple that
yields an extent?  (My earlier email contains a proof that unprinciples do
not exist on prime stages: doubles,triples...).

Also very interesting would be a nice practical, interesting, major
example, with a nice practical, interesting peal composition.

Btw, I find this one of the most interesting threads for quite a while -
good job folks!

Ander