[r-t] Undifferentials

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 22:12:07 UTC 2011

On 12 July 2011 20:05, Alexander Holroyd <holroyd at math.ubc.ca> wrote:

> Thanks for this very clear explanation, Graham!
>
> I think this method is a wonderful example, but sadly it looks as if it does
> not lend itself to an extent (with the usual caveat: at least not without
> massacring it to a point where it is barely recognizable). Although it
> divides neatly into whole courses and half courses of plain hunt, and the
> half-courses are compatible with each other, the plain course comprises
> precisely 6 of the 9 plain hunt courses obtained from the plain course of
> plain hunt by rotating 123 and rotating 456.  So far as I can see, there
> will not be a sensible way to include the other 3.

I'm afraid that I came to the same conclusion. The two trios expressed
as say  ooo  & xxx can be set out in two plain hunt blocks
1: from say oooxxx and 2 from say oxxoxo this leaves the two skeleton
rows oxxoxo & xooxxo
Graham's block is two plain hunts of type 1. (the one being
superimposed on the other between place notation 36 and 14
I cannot see how the same could be applied to plain hunt type 2 and we
still have to deal with the two skeleton rows oxxoxo & xooxxo

Eddie