[r-t] Unprinciple extent!

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Fri Jul 15 20:53:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011, Graham John wrote:

> Other than the theoretical interest, I'm not convinced that unprinciples
> will offer much from a practical point of view. For example, a method should
> really be defined as the shortest/simplest place notation that helps ringers
> learn what is required. In this case, describing this as the underlying
> principle &-4-1.4.3.4-4- with a division end of either 12, 34, or 36 means
> only a quarter of the learning is necessary.

I'm not completely convinced by this. "Shortest" is obviously wrong -
would you advocate ringers learning plain bob minor as &-1- with lead ends
of 1 or 2? - while "simplest" is in the eye of the beholder.  It would be
interesting to have some examples with less repetitive place notation,
however.  I've no reason to think these shouldn't exist.