[r-t] New major frameworks - Tom Perrins

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Sat Jun 18 18:56:20 UTC 2011

PJE wrote:

> Tom has also been working on Cambridge Major, producing very neat, tidy
> compositions with repeat callings. Lots of elegance - indeed they seem
> almost too neat to be original - have similar things been done before?

Yes this is rather well trodden ground. DFM has extensively explored
Cambridge, and as well as all the strictly tenors-together compositions, I
found all the exact 6-parts of Cambridge S Major with tenors together course
ends by exhaustive search in the mid 1990s. There are a couple on my site
(and some on Don's):-

http://www.changeringing.co.uk/smajor.htm#5184-CaS08-1

I don't think I have seen something exactly like Tom's five part before,
though. It is good to see some more thought given to compositions for
advancing handbell bands, too.

Graham