[r-t] Stedman Doubles in Campanologia

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sun Oct 9 21:41:41 UTC 2011

I've been looking at the famous section on "Stedman's Principle" in
Campanologia. Fabian gives an extent, differing from today's practice by
virtue of two singles made in 123, but with the modern start, at the
fourth changes of a quick six.

I have always assumed that this start is used because it marks one of
the two points of symmetry within the lead of the method. Fabian's last
two paragraphs appear to be the only place in his exposition where the
start is mentioned, but I can't for the life of me figure out what he
actually means. Can someone more knowledgeable translate please?

Here is the text:

"The first Parting change is here made the third change at the
beginning, and that six cuts compass.

"In all the several ways of ringing this peal, if the Parting changes
are made at the fore-stroke, as in course they are in this here prickt,
then cutting compass is always on the same sixes, as in this peal: but
when the Parting changes are made at back-stroke, then the contrary six
always cuts compass to what doth here."

I think "cuts compass" means "is hunted right place" but that is as far
as I've got in trying to understand this bit.