[r-t] Stedman Doubles in Campanologia

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 09:33:41 UTC 2011

On 9 October 2011 22:41, Mark Davies <mark at snowtiger.net> wrote:

> I've been looking at the famous section on "Stedman's Principle" in
> Campanologia. Fabian gives an extent, differing from today's practice by
> virtue of two singles made in 123, but with the modern start, at the fourth
> changes of a quick six.

 I think this single was chosen as already being familiar to Grandsire
Doubles ringers, but he does refer us to p. 90 and alternative singles

> I have always assumed that this start is used because it marks one of the
> two points of symmetry within the lead of the method.

I'm sure that is so. With plain hunt as a reference point, there are only
two pairs of bells that can come together to dodge in 4-5: plain hunt
coursing pairs(45, 53, 31, 12, 24) or non-coursing pairs ( 51, 32, 14, 25,
43) The extent on three bells is six changesThus starting with rounds as a
pivot point in the middle of a quick six with a coursing pair behind the
entry into a slow six brings a non-coursing pair behind This is reversed at
the second pivot point so that we have the twelve rows 12345 to 54321 where
1sts willl give Stedman's 53412 or 5ths Carter's 45231 - in either case, all
quick sixes have courseing pairs in 4-5 and all slow sixes will have
non-coursing pairs in 4-5 and we have the extent of pure double changes

> Fabian's last two paragraphs appear to be the only place in his exposition
> where the start is mentioned, but I can't for the life of me figure out what
> he actually means. Can someone more knowledgeable translate please?

I'll try. Toward the beginning of the book (p.22) he explains that to ring
changes requires the bells to be raised to a set pull "which compass is most
proper for the ringing of them therefore the learner's first practice must
be to raise a bell true in peal, to ring it at a low compass and also to
cease it true in peal"
ie raise in peal, ring a few rounds then lower in peal. (At this time bells
with stays were not very common and a sett-pull referred to ringing from
balance point to balance point and setting or holding it there if necessary)
When talking of how to ring rounds or changes he explains (p.23) that
keeping time is essential. That hand-stroke leads should be open ("in
ringing a peal of 5 Bells; from the fore-stroke of every note to the next
fore-stroke of the same note, there ought to be eleven punctums or Beats of
time...These punctums or beats of time must be proportioned either wider or
closer  according to the compass of the Treble: therefore first the Treble
must fix its compass certain and true at fore-stroke." Thus it follows that
in changes, every bell at lead must ring at the same 'compass' : hold off at
hand, cut in at back.

On p. 44 he tells of changes being rung by 'walking' them "the bells go
round four, six, eight times or more in one change...or in Whole pulls..
"every time they are pull'd down at Sally, a new change is made" or in half
pulls where a change takes place at each stroke. Whilst most methods have
forward hunting, some may have backward hunting which will not be so drastic
until one starts ringing changes at every stroke
"In ringing half-pulls. some peals will cut compass, wherein the whole Hunt
comes always to lead at back-stroke"
In other words, the normal thing in method ringing is to have a handstroke
pause at the first blow at lead, followed by the second blow with no
pause (lead right) but sometimes you might have to  'cut compass' and come
to lead at backstroke - with no blank punctum required at the first
blow (lead wrong)

Here is the text:

"The first Parting change is here made the third change at the beginning,
and that six cuts compass.

"In all the several ways of ringing this peal, if the Parting changes are
made at the fore-stroke, as in course they are in this here prickt, then
cutting compass is always on the same sixes, as in this peal: but when the
Parting changes are made at back-stroke, then the contrary six always cuts
compass to what doth here."

I think "cuts compass" means "is hunted right place" but that is as far as
I've got in trying to understand this bit.

Translated this means that normal hand & back leads are interrupted as we
enter what we now call the slow with its back & hand leading
As written out, all what we now call quick sixes will have right leads (hand
and back) and all what we now call slow sixes will have wrong leads ( back &
hand)
but when the Parting changes are made at back-stroke, then the contrary six
always cuts compass to what doth here."
ie as written out, 5ths place is made at hand giving us forward hunting
quick sixes and backward hunting slow, however, if we choose to make 5ths at
back then quick sixes will have wrong hunting and slow sixes forward
hunting.

I think that's correct
Eddie