[r-t] A plea for help

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Mon Apr 30 18:04:25 UTC 2012

Philip writes,

> Many thanks Mark - that's really great. Very much appreciated.
 > I've copied below the results of search 2.  I'll try sending the
 > other files also.
>
> I now need to have a play with the results...

Didn't we once have a facility whereby the list would strip out incoming
attachments and make them available on its web page?

Regarding the results, they need a careful look at to make sure the
output is sensible, i.e. only includes valid methods and does not miss
any areas of the search. QA has up to now been very light! I'll try and
have a more thorough check tonight.

Regarding the general constraints, it has struck me that limiting the
cycles to (123) and (45678) is not actually imposing any kind of
restriction. The only other valid leadhead for this type of construction
is (12345)(678), and all such methods are implicitly generated by the
search anyway - simply ring the second half-lead first. The reason you
cannot have any other kind of leadhead is simply that, whatever the
three-bell group is, the changes XXX..... and .....XXX must be visited,
and there is only one way of reaching each of them: via XX.X.... and
....X.XX. Hence, the only way of including these changes is at the
leadhead/halflead.

So these searches have exhausted more of the search space than I
originally thought. I am happy to try extending/altering the allowable
PN sets though.