[r-t] Method symmetry

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Thu Aug 23 14:15:18 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Mark Davies <mark at snowtiger.net> wrote:
> If you interpretation "place" as an actual place being made, rather than
> just a position within the lead, then the definition excludes the
> Evil/Good-style reflective symmetry.

Unless my aging memory is playing tricks on me, I believe that "place"
language was not originally in the Decision, and was added
specifically to exclude this type of path as symmetrical, in response
to discussions with another band that was trying, but failed to ring,
a major method with a similar sort of treble path, abeit with a point
only at the back and an odd number of changes in the lead.

"Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its
operating manual."                  -- Terry Pratchett, _Jingo_