[r-t] Method symmetry

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 13:15:28 UTC 2012

Am I missing something?

Ander's example has rotational symmetry and has 8 hunt bells (note: not a method according to CC decisions as it is not divisible into leads).
3478.1478.1258.1256.1456.3458

Mark's first example has palindromic symmetry:
-1-5.4.5 = 12647583

Mark's second example however, is asymmetric, so does meet the criteria:
 -1.2.25.4.5 = 12647583

I wonder though whether Ander's stated problem sufficiently constrained. For example if you put Cambridge Minor on top of Cambridge Minor (but offset by say two changes), you create a Differential Maximus method that fulfills the criteria, but I doubt that this is in the spirit of the challenge. Perhaps the problem should be constrained to a single hunt method, or principle?

Graham