[r-t] Method symmetry

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Thu Aug 23 19:25:57 UTC 2012

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012, Graham John wrote:

> Am I missing something?

I don't think so (unless it is exactly which questions people have been
answering).

> Ander's example has rotational symmetry and has 8 hunt bells (note: not
> a method according to CC decisions as it is not divisible into leads).
> 3478.1478.1258.1256.1456.3458

Quite correct.  This was to simply to show that it's possible to have
all bells "symmetric about a point" while maintaining truth.

> Mark's first example has palindromic symmetry:
> -1-5.4.5 = 12647583
>
> Mark's second example however, is asymmetric, so does meet the criteria:
> -1.2.25.4.5 = 12647583

Yes, he said so in the two messages.

> I wonder though whether Ander's stated problem sufficiently constrained.

It has many possible variations.  There are quite a few types of symmetry
(see Martin Bright's article).  Any examples in which all the lines have
more symmetries than the method seem potentially of interest.

> For example if you put Cambridge Minor on top of Cambridge Minor (but
> offset by say two changes), you create a Differential Maximus method
> that fulfills the criteria, but I doubt that this is in the spirit of
> the challenge.

My original message contained exactly this example (but using plain bob
minimus), and I asked for more interesting examples (deliberately left
undefined, but I think it's clear that the Cambridge version does not
qualify).

I think Mark's second example certainly qualifies as an answer to the
original challenge.

Perhaps the next question should be: is there one that people might
reasonably want to ring?

  Perhaps the problem should be constrained to a single
> hunt method, or principle?

Also an interesting question.