[r-t] New method - Auryn Differential Minor

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Mon Dec 3 00:09:10 UTC 2012

We just rang an extent of an interesting new minor method, devised by
Tristan Parker of Seattle.  It is a (2,4)-differential, with the plain
course being the group of all rows that can be obtained from the
mirror-symmetric place notations -,34,25,16.  The latter property is
shared by the principle Kidderminster, and the fact that the plain course
is a group means that extents are readily obtained.

http://www.boojum.org.uk/cgi-bin/line.pl?bells=6&pn=-34-1-25-1.34-34.1&title=Auryn%20Differential%20Minor&lines=1&line=2&line1=b&line1c=red&line1w=1%2F2pt&line2=b&line2b=2&action.x=1

What makes Auryn different is that the "hunt bells" 1 and 6 ring
treble-bob hunt.  It turns out an extent is possible using only 4ths place
bobs without affecting the treble, so the treble simply treble-bobs
throughout.  It's essentially unique, and very elegant.  The method is fun
to ring: interesting but not too difficult.

720
---------
- 2 42356
---------
3 part

Curiously, this extent can be re-interpreted as the "standard calling" of
the 5-lead treble-bob method whose lead is two leads of Auryn called p-,
with an omit as the call:

-34-1-25-1.34-34.1-34-1-25-1.34-34.4 le 154263
bob=16

720
I O 2345
---
- - 5432
   - 4235
---
3 part
(bob whenever 6 unaffected unless 5 also unaffected)

A priori there is no reason to expect that the standard calling would work
for this method - it is asymmetric, and it has the section -25-, which
disrupts the usual nature of the rows.  In particular, I don't believe
there is a set of 6 mutually true courses, and the partial courses rung
between the I and O do not complement each other to form complete courses
(as they do in the standard calling of standard TD methods).

I'd like to understand better how this works (of course there is no
difficulty if one interprets it as the original differential method).

Are there other examples of TD methods for which the standard calling
works but that do not admit 6 mutually true courses?

Ander