[r-t] Emergency peal composition

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Wed Dec 19 22:55:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012, Philip Saddleton wrote:

> To get all 13 leads we must have all 13 lead ends and all 13 lead heads -
> certain of them happen at calls and the others cannot be paired together.

Yes, you are quite right.  More precisely, the graph of lead head and lead
end rows (minus the ones that have calls, with edges corresponding to both
2nd and nth place lead end changes) consists of two paths each with an odd
number of rows, so it has no perfect matching.

The 16ET hlb for maximus is great - hadn't thought of that! This looks
alot more like something one might want to ring...