[r-t] Emergency peal composition

Matt Dawson matt.dawson at cantab.net
Mon Dec 3 15:36:35 UTC 2012

On 2 December 2012 23:58, Alexander Holroyd <holroyd at math.ubc.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2012, Alexander Holroyd wrote:
>> Presumably too late, but:
>>
>> with bob=18, x=12, hlb=7B:
>>
>> 5096
>> 2x.3.5x (6)     ATE098765432B
>> %.1x (1)        AB234567890ET
>> 13 part
>
> It turns out that this is quite amusing: the two courses that appear are
> (cyclic shifts of) the plain course and the reverse plain course.  So e.g.
> back rounds comes up at handstroke.
>
> There are several variants. e.g.
> %.1x.3%x.4.6x (7) 4567890ETAB23
>
> What other riffs on this plan are possible?

I'd had a look at using an eighths place bob, followed by one change
of wrong hunting and another eighths place bob. Don Morrison has used
a similar construction in peal compositions of spliced Maximus - see,
for example, <http://ringing.org/main/pages/dfm/maximus/spliced#5959>
- which is where this idea came from.

Here it acts on 2 and 3, bringing up the first part end 14567890ETAB23
after seven leads of Bristol, some of which have a seconds place lead
end:

| 5122 B+ 14
| 234567890ETAB 1x.2x.4 (4 leads)
| 08T6B423A5E79 "1B.18" (2 changes)
| 08T6B43527A9E 3x (3 leads)
| 4567890ETAB23
| repeat twelve times
| x = 12, bob = 18.

Reduce to 5010 by replacing the seven leads between two consecutive
links with five leads of (14ths place) Bristol.

I guess this is essentially analogous to what Ander is doing with his
18 bob and 7B half-lead bob, but only two rows apart. The 5010 isn't
especially tidy - more a proof of concept - but I'm not sure how much
neater is possible without falling foul of the falseness generated.

matt